Tuesday, April 24, 2007

About the Opal Awards

Since 1996, I've been giving out my own personal movie awards every year. Of course, it's mostly symbolic- there are no actual awards being given, nor any ceremony for honorees to attend. Still, I enjoy giving special shout-outs to favorite achievements from the previous movie year, especially when I get to honor work that has been largely ignored by the more respectable groups.

Even now that I've gotten the Muriel Awards up and running, I see no reason to discontinue these. One reason is because I announce these sometime after the cutoff date for the Muriels, so that I can recognize movies that may not have been released in my area prior to that date. Also, there are a few extra categories here that aren't part of the Muriels, and a few that are part of the Muriels aren't included here.

In addition, I'd like to post lists of other award winners on this blog eventually, just for reference's sake. Who knows when that'll happen though.

No comments: